FGF-21, a polypeptide with 210 amino acid residues produced mostly from the liver tissue. Mouse FGF- 21 shares 75% identity as
human FGF-21. Recent animal studies indicate it possesses potent beneﬁcial effects on glucose and lipid metabolism and insulin
sensitivity. Increasing data shows FGF-21 can significantly stimulate glucose uptake in mature adipocytes. And the lowered
LDL-cholesterol and increased HDL-cholesterol can also be observed. FGF-21 exerts its bioactivity through interaction with
membrane bound FGF receptors (FGFRs) which requires β-Klotho as a co-factor to bind and activate FGFR signaling. The activation of FGF-21 can induce the stimulation of diverse downstream pathways medicated by MAPK, FRS-2, SHP-2, PI3K, raf, stat and other signaling molecules. In sum, FGF-21 induces a variety of significant beneficial metabolic changes without apparent adverse effects
which makes this factor a hot candidate to treat some metabolic diseases.
Total 184 AA Mw: 20kDa (calculated).
N-terminal His- tag removed, 2 extra AA left (highlighted).
Lyophilized in 1 mg/mL in PBS.
Add sterile deionized water to prepare a working stock solution of approximately 1 mg/mL and let the lyophilized pellet dissolve completely.
Store lyophilized protein at -20°C. Aliquot reconstituted protein and store at -80°C. Avoid repeated freezing/thawing cycles.
BCA to determine quantity of the protein.
SDS PAGE to determine purity of the protein.
Cell culture, animal studies, ELISA and Western blotting.
Publications Citing Our Product
1. Lin Z, Tian H, et al. Adiponectin mediates the metabolic effects of FGF21 on glucose homeostasis and insulin sensitivity in mice. Cell Metab. 2013 May 7;17(5):779-89
2. So WY, Cheng Q, et al. High Glucose Represses β-Klotho Expression and Impairs Fibroblast Growth Factor 21 Action in Mouse Pancreatic Islets: Involvement of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor γ Signaling. Diabetes. 2013 Nov;62(11):3751-9.
3. Li H, Gao Z, et al. Sodium butyrate stimulates expression of fibroblast growth factor 21 in liver by inhibition of histone deacetylase 3. Diabetes. 2012 Apr;61(4):797-806.
4. Ge X, Chen C, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 21 induces glucose transporter-1 expression through activation of the serum response factor/Ets-like protein-1 in adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2011 Oct 7;286(40):34533-41.
Publications Citing This Product
1. Ge X, Chen C, Hui X, Wang Y, Lam KS, Xu A. Fibroblast growth factor 21 induces glucose transporter-1 expression through activation of the serum response factor/Ets-like protein-1 in adipocytes. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2011 Oct 7;286(40):34533-41.
2. Li H, Gao Z, Zhang J, Ye X, Xu A, Ye J, Jia W. Sodium butyrate stimulates expression of fibroblast growth factor 21 in liver by inhibition of histone deacetylase 3. Diabetes. 2012 Apr 1;61(4):797-806.
3. Lin Z, Tian H, Lam KS, Lin S, Hoo RC, Konishi M, Itoh N, Wang Y, Bornstein SR, Xu A, Li X. Adiponectin mediates the metabolic effects of FGF21 on glucose homeostasis and insulin sensitivity in mice. Cell metabolism. 2013 May 7;17(5):779-89.
4. So WY, Cheng Q, Chen L, Evans-Molina C, Xu A, Lam KS, Leung PS. High glucose represses β-klotho expression and impairs fibroblast growth factor 21 action in mouse pancreatic islets: involvement of peroxisome proliferator–activated receptor γ signaling. Diabetes. 2013 Nov 1;62(11):3751-9.
5. Huang Z, Zhong L, Lee JT, Zhang J, Wu D, Geng L, Wang Y, Wong CM, Xu A. The FGF21-CCL11 axis mediates beiging of white adipose tissues by coupling sympathetic nervous system to type 2 immunity. Cell metabolism. 2017 Sep 5;26(3):493-508.
6. Li H, Wu G, Fang Q, Zhang M, Hui X, Sheng B, Wu L, Bao Y, Li P, Xu A, Jia W. Fibroblast growth factor 21 increases insulin sensitivity through specific expansion of subcutaneous fat. Nature communications. 2018 Jan 18;9(1):1-6.
7. Pan X, Shao Y, Wu F, Wang Y, Xiong R, Zheng J, Tian H, Wang B, Wang Y, Zhang Y, Han Z. Fgf21 prevents angiotensin ii-induced hypertension and vascular dysfunction by activation of ace2/angiotensin-(1–7) axis in mice. Cell metabolism. 2018 Jun 5;27(6):1323-37.
8. Geng L, Liao B, Jin L, Huang Z, Triggle CR, Ding H, Zhang J, Huang Y, Lin Z, Xu A. Exercise alleviates obesity-induced metabolic dysfunction via enhancing FGF21 sensitivity in adipose tissues. Cell reports. 2019 Mar 5;26(10):2738-52.
9. Li H, Sun H, Qian B, Feng W, Carney D, Miller J, Hogan MV, Wang L. Increased Expression of FGF‐21 Negatively Affects Bone Homeostasis in Dystrophin/Utrophin Double Knockout Mice. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 2020 Apr;35(4):738-52.